Saturday, June 23, 2007

I have a child-man

The Progress-Index had an article yesterday about Mandy Marchiano being chosen to represent Colonial Heights at the Youth Leadership Forum, a program for disabled teens that helps them build networking skills and hang out with their peers.

I don't know the Marchiano family, eventhough they go to the same church as my family. I do remember the news of the accident that took away so much of Mandy's youth.

The news is filled with stories of childrens' lives being changed in an instant. The young girl that had her feet severed at an amusement park yesterday is a very fresh example.

The point is that families with "special" kids have a child that's a mix between an adult and a kid. What do I mean? C. can't walk without the assistance of braces and a walker. He doesn't fuss. He just plows through. C. has learned the idea of patience when it's absolutely necessary, which is a pretty grown up idea.

Don't get me wrong, C. acts like a 4 year old because he is one. He does have some tendencies that amaze me and make me stop and say, "Wow! He's more mature than me!"

The tough part is trying to make sure that the adult side of C.'s personality never extinguishes the part of him that laughs when he farts in the tub, wrestles the dog, or loves SpongeBob Squarepants.

No comments: