Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Organized Religion is Not True Christianity, Brad

Brad at Brad's Brain, recently stated that Christianity "is the most dangerous religion in the world." Here's the post. Please read it. Please comment. Please also read the string of comments on his blog. I think they speak for themselves.

In case you don't read my last comment, here it is
I won’t comment on your personal attacks. There isn’t a point in that. If if makes you feel better to claim you don’t “suffer fools lightly,” well, then, congrats.

You wanna argue a point, then argue this statement you made about Christianity and Islam: “delusions to further belief structures damaging to the lives of ordinary people, to placate them, and to wage wars to make the powerful more powerful.”

I can only speak towards Christianity, but where in the Bible does Christ or any of the apostles mention furthering belief structures to placate anyone or waging wars to make the powerful more powerful? True Christianity is not based on what organized religion espouses, but what Christ said and asked us to do.

Your argument seems to be based against organized religion and not the beliefs of Christians. Any politician, Demorcrat or Republican, that uses religion to further a political ideal is typically traipsing out their faith as another plank in their platform. Christianity is about putting others first, following Christ, and loving God above all others? What is wrong with that ideology? Are those the ideals that are poisoning America or is it some agenda of a denomination to which you’re referrring?

Has evil been done in the name of Christianity and Christ? Absolutely! I personally ask for the forgiveness of those others who’ve ever been harmed in the name of Christ or any organized religion.

I do believe (and that’s what this boils down to…belief or faith) that following Christ is a noble thing and what God wants us to do. Can that be argued? No more so than the feeling that the warm sun feels good on your face or that you might like the smell of rain.


I’m sure I’ve said some hypocritical things. I’m a hypocrite EVERY DAY! Thank God he’ll take me, and you for that matter, back EVERY DAY. I will not pretend to be some intellectual giant that has perfect thoughts or posts, because I’m not. I do believe I add a valuable voice to the public discourse and will continue to do so.

If this makes you respond with some smart-ass comment about how ignorant I am, then so be it. I’ve tried, and will continue, to compliment you on views of yours that I agree with, and have tried to find common ground with you, which I think I did on your love for music.

Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris - This was probably the better way to express your views of Brads post on his blog. Rather than those comments you made on his blog. I don't agree with Brads views -- But I don't think his response to your comments "crossed the line". Both of you made bad comments - but I don't think his was aimed directly at your son - but more so to your blog.

I have been reading your blog and your wifes blog ever since it showed up on the rvablogs. I do enjoy reading the blogs - but I do sense some neediness for apathy rather than a display of how your family is meeting the needs of incorporating a child with special needs to be inclusive rather than the constant expression of "I have a special needs kid".

It's your blog you do and say whatever you want with it. But just for example here are 2 very popular blogs (popular enough they make enough $$$ from it to be stay at home moms)
www.inthetrenchesofmotherhood.com
www.suburbanbliss.net

I don't know if they have a special needs kid or not -- but what people enjoy reading -- is about their daily life and how they get through it.

Share with us you have a special needs kid -- tell us how great parents you strive to be -- share with us the daily stuff that makes you so blessed to have a special needs son. and please share with us how and what you do to make sure that a special needs kids -- doesn't feel like a special needs kid.

Chris said...

Thanks for reading. Very interesting comments. I really appreciate the feedback.

I agree with you mostly. Brad was referring mostly to some comments I made earlier on his blog.

I definitely don't want to come off as wanting or needing empathy, so I will try to change my style.

Thanks again!