Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Now I know why I was hitting the ball like an old lady!

I've been on a strict training regimen recently in order to get ready for the widely esteemed Frost Bite Open at Birkdale Golf Club this Saturday. Nevermind the fact that my training regimen is simply stumbling on to the driving range, hitting a small bucket of balls, and leaving feeling worse about my golf game then when I arrived.

Recently, my golf mentor, Johnny H. and I went to the range. Our relationship is very similar to Mr. Miyagi and Daniel-san (If only he'd teach me paint the fence, I'd own this upcoming tourney!).

In all seriousness, John is a great guy and very conscious of others' feelings. So what happened when we were on the range probably was hard for him. He was watching he flail away with my seven iron. He politely asked me if he could take a couple of swings with my club. Once he hit a few balls, he looked a little perplexed.

He held my seven iron next to his pitching wedge, and the clubs were the same length! That's not good. A men's seven iron should be significantly longer than a pitching wedge. That's when John lowered the boom. He said, "I don't know how to tell you this, cwray, but you have ladies clubs!"

WOW! That sucks. No wonder my shots have looked like an old granny's attempt at this royal game called golf.

So to fast forward, I now have mens clubs (courtesy of sensai) and I still suck. Now if only I can learn the crane kick to take on the evil Cobra Kai dojo...oh wait, I'm mixing my metaphors here.

Wish me luck on Saturday. I'm gonna need it.

No comments: