Tuesday, February 26, 2008

3 Things I Really Like About My Church

As I said in my last post (but I belive it bears repeating) the internets have seen little of me recently. I just sorta lost my mojo for posting.

Thanks to Chris at Awaken Me, I've been tagged to list 3 things I really like about my church. This is a big post to really jump back in the blogging water, but I believe I'm up to the task. I guess you guys will be the judges.

Without further ado, here are the 3 things I really like about our church (Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Colonial Heights):

  • 1 . Our children's ministry- While our children's ministry is in a state of flux with the loss of our children's pastor, I know that our church really loves our kids and does everything it can to show them the love of Christ. There are extensive activities that our kids can and do get involved in. Kids' choir and AWANA are ongoing activites that a bunch of MPBC kids go to weekly. One of the coolest things about our children's ministry is the abundance of stuff for kids during the summer. Terrific Tuesdays, VBS, and Centri-Kid sleepover camp are just a few of the awesome things that our kids get to be involved in.

  • 2. Our music- I love music. It is truly the thing that stirs my soul the most. That being said, I don't like churches that think they can sing/play music when they can't. I know that's not a loving attitude, but we all have weaknesses. Mount Pleasant's "Cutting Edge Band" does a great job, overall. Our piano player and drummer are some specific strong points to our morning worship service. We also have an organ/keyboardist that is white and blind but if you closed your eyes you'd swear you were listening to a mix of Stevie Wonder and Gregg Allman, no joke. Finally, our morning worship leader really has a heart for the Lord and that shows in how he puts our 9:30 worship music together.

  • 3. Our pastor- Mount Pleasant is a large church. I felt when we started attending MPBC that we'd see a senior pastor that got up on Sunday morning, preached his sermon, and that would be it. Pastor Jeff Ginn couldn't be further from that example. He goes out of his way to learn EVERYONE'S name, which is tough for a church that has three Sunday services with total attendance averaging right around 1000. Pastor Jeff also has a huge heart for the lost folks of our town, state, country, and world. Finally, Jeff really brings the Word of God to us every week but does it in a way that you truly connect with. I know that when I struggle with my faith, Jeff would listen to my struggle and use his vast knowledge of the Word to point me back on the path without making me feel stupid or unfaithful.

I'm glad that Chris tagged me on this idea. Hope this was fun to read. Here's to hoping I can catch the blogging bug again.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting Chris! I wondered where you went to for church...

I also put a comment on Jim's initial blogpost about this linking back here....