Monday, April 14, 2008

MSNBC.com now attacking teen stars for doing the right thing

If you read my blog, you know I have three kids. My two oldest are girls. They both love the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus.

MSNBC.com has an article today slamming Cyrus and the Jo Bros for talking about their chastity vow. Here's the article. We all know the slant of MSNBC. I'm not gonna get in to that here.

The thing that really gets me is that the "author" justifies this critical article by stating that others have claimed chastity till marriage before and failed. Great reasoning. Nothing like just not doing the right thing because you know it's hard and people have tried before and couldn't do it.

I'm tired of media outlets attacking purity and traditional values as things that are foreign to this country.

Plus, I'm also tired of people using generalities about performers like Cyrus and saying she's a "just half naked virgins writhing" around. Believe me when I say that I've seen A LOT of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montanna. I've never seen her do anything close to half naked writhing.

I guess it's your typical attack article aimed at people that are popular and *GASP* actually good role models.

4 comments:

Bookstore Piet said...

I think you missed the point of this article. The way I read it is that they are doing it as a marketing ploy. Look at all the people who bought into Brittany Spears' virgin scheme and the aftermath of that. I don't have a problem with people promoting chastity, just those who are trying to profit from it.

Chris said...

You're right in that's one point of the article. The Spears case is one where that probably was true.

However, in the case of Hannah Montanna and the Jonas Brothers, I think the idea of them marketing their chastity couldn't be further from the truth. Again, my kids know all things Montanna and Jo Bros and have NEVER heard, asked me, or mentioned them being virgins until their married.

My problem, I guess, is the overall feeling of cynicism that our media has taken with most things that deal with traditional moral values. If these specific artists "fail" at their chastity pledges, well guess what, they're human.

I have to admit though, I've never seen or heard anyone use this as a marketing ploy in regards to these artists.

Bookstore Piet said...

I've no idea what kind musical act the Jonas Bros are, they only hit my radar screen a few weeks ago due to the buzz about their chastity pledges. I'd heard about the whole Hannah Montana/Millie Cyrus thing but hadn't heard about her pledge until this article. After seeing her second performance last week on American Idol I am not sure how she reconciles what she's selling on stage and being a chaste role model.

On the bright side, for me anyway, my 3 year old boy is a few years away from all this and his favourite band is The Ramones, quite possibly the least sexual group of all time...

Chris said...

When you think Jonas Brothers think the Monkees of today, except they're all brothers.

Having a three year old is an awesome thing, even more awesome when he likes cool music.

I sorta disagree with your take on the Hannah Montanna performance. She was singing about being nervous around a boy she likes. Sorta a normal thing for a 15 year old, virgin or not.

The buzz you heard about the Jonas Brothers chastity pledge could also be a two headed beast. Is it out their because the band's managment is pushing it or is the media harping on it?