Monday, June 4, 2007

The Fruity Pebbles Civil War

For those that don't have kids, let me tell you that two of the most trying times during the day are getting your kids out of bed and getting them to go to sleep.

My two oldest, both girls, are 8 and 6. This morning, after having a tough time going to sleep, both girls got up without the normal amount of prodding. That should have been a warning. K., the 6 year old, came downstairs and was unusually chipper. B. came downstairs a little bit later. B. is not a morning person at all.

I was upstairs going about getting ready for work as my wife, Belinda, and I carpool together. I could hear the first volley of what would be an especially nasty battle as soon as I was coming downstairs.

You see, for breakfast my kids typically have 3-4 different cereals to choose from. Getting them to choose usually evolves into me or mom threatening to restrict any type of fun for ther rest of my girls natural lives before a choice is made.

This morning K. chose right away, which should have been a clue to sometimes slow witted dad, and that's when it was on. We only had enough Fruity Pebbles for one bowl. B. didn't like this, to say the least. After much hollering and tounge-sticking-outing, the issue was decided. K. came downstairs first, so she gets first pick. Label it a tween's lesson in "Early bird gets the worm."

Everything was decided, or so I thought. Next thing I hear is some rustling, slapping of hands, and then the highest pitch wail known to have been heard on the southern side of Colonial Heights in recent history. B. had "accidentally" pushed K.'s hand and made her drop her Fruity Pebbles.

ARRRGGHHH!! Parenting can be so fun. Both sides were eventually calmed down. As my wife and I were leaving, I could hear the next fight start over who would get the last of the milk for chocolate millk!

Two lessons out of this one:
1)Kids are so cute
2)I better be heading to the store after work.

No comments: