Sunday, June 3, 2007

Now what Colonial Heights?

In 2005 the city of Colonial Heights, where I've lived for almost 5 years now, made the wise financial decision to buy the Colonial Baptist Church property. You see, the church is relocating to the northern end of the city. Good for them. The new place looks like it will be a beautiful sanctuary.

My question is, why did the city spend almost $3.5 million dollars for a property without having any plans whatsoever about what to do with a huge, empty church building. According to a newsletter put out by the city in 2005, the congregation has a 30 month lease on the current property, so no planning for the future of the current building has even begun. In that same newsletter, the city states that, "City Council considers this five-acre parcel to be very important to the economic viability of the southern end of the City."

Almost $4 million spent on a 5 acre plot that is important to the economic viability of the southern end of the City? How does this make sense? If the city decides to knock the old church down, what are they going to put there? A car wash? Strip mall? Oh I know, a chain restaurant? These are all things that Colonial Heights has an over abundance of.

I think the city has really dropped the ball here. I live in the southern end of Colonial Heights. I'm pretty sure that $3.5 million could have been used to fix the roads that have been long neglected. Maybe funnel that money to the special education program that recently had to cut some funding. Worse case scenario, keep that money in the bank for a time when you actually have a plan for what you're going to spend it on.

I just pray that this isn't the start of our small city looking towards the example of fine stewardship that Richmond has been following for decades.

2 comments:

adamandjeremy said...

I hate to say it, but I have heard rummor that the City bought the property to keep from being sold to an African American chruch... which seems outrageous but given the cities history its not out of the quesion.

Chris said...

I've heard that too, but not from very reliable sources. If there was any truth to that, I'm SURE that it would have been exposed by now. I also don't believe that CH Baptist would not sell to another church because the city wanted to block the deal.