Saturday, June 2, 2007

Why are we so negative?

In the short time I've been blogging, I've noticed that the majority of blogs I've visited have a very negative slant. It seems that a lot of people think that being sarcastic or mean is the only way to drum up any interest in what they're saying.

What's funny is that I try to avoid that on my posts but have a hard time doing so in "real life." For me, it's easier to reach out to strangers with open arms without trying to joke on them, while almost all of my responses to my family and coworkers.

I really need Christ to help me with this. He is the only one that can truly change a person's heart permanently, but I've had a really hard time recently letting him be in control.

My wife and kids deserve better. In the blogging world, the public discourse deserves better. I'm tired of the talking heads constantly being in attack dog mode. It's absurd.

I'll leave everyone with this:
Proverbs 24:17-18 "Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice, or the LORD will see and disaprove and turn his wrath away from him."

2 comments:

libhom said...

The main reason for negativity on American blogs is that it reflects the negative reality the overwhelming majority of Americans experience.

While the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poor, many middle class Americans are becoming poor, and the rest of the middle class are slowly losing economic ground.

We are in a senseless war that actually helps Al Qaeda recruit terrorists. Tax policies are getting more slanted towards the rich and corporations. Religious extremism is widespread here in the US and abroad, and isn't limited to one particular faith.

Racism, sexism, homophobia, AIDSphobia, and Christian supremacy are still rampant in the US. The very discussion of such topics is widely condemned by many sectors of our society.

Our environment is in a serious state of decay. Global Warming could end up being a disaster of unheard of proportions.

With very few meaningful limits on campaign finances, our elections often resemble auctions. Even the counting of the votes is not valid often, as was the case with the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections.

Jobs are being exported from this country at an alarming rate. Workplace safety is largely ignored by the current administration. Unionization is undermined both by corporations and by a complicit government.

Under the circumstances, the tone of most blogs is relatively serene compared to the reality they are commenting on.

Chris said...

It's very telling that you start your post out using a desciption of me as a "fundamentalist Christian." In my opinion, there is no such thing. Plain and simple, I love and follow Christ, which makes me a Christian. Fundamentalism has nothing to do with me at all.

The point of my post is that the blogging world in general is quick to attack and not discuss. I disagree with almost everything you put in your response, yet I would never be one to throw stones and call names because you happen to disagree with me.

I look forward to having meaningful conversations with you for a long time. Stop on by whenever you would like!