Monday, July 28, 2008

I Cried At Work Today


This picture is a year old, but it helps you see the beauty of my family. B., who's my daughter on the left of the picture, went off to sleep away camp today.
It's a church sponsored camp and I know she'll be safe and have a blast.
I was talking to my wife about her sending B. some mail, and "it" just overwhelmed me. I didn't bawl, just a few tears fell. I caught the tears before I was openly accused by my podmates of being the softy that I really am. It's hard to explain to someone that doesn't have kids what "it" is, but I'll try...
"It" is simultaneously looking at your kid and realizing all at the same time how fast they're growing, how short of time you have left, how cool they're turning out, and how much you're concerned about their future.
B. has one of the sweetest hearts imaginable. I'm so fortunate and blessed to have her in my life.
I know you won't read this B., but I pray you catch the vibe of this message and have caught it on a regular basis since you've been born. Your mom and I love you so very much. We're very proud of you. Concentrate on having a great time at camp and hope that Daddy isn't this much of a mess every day at work. I have a manly image to uphold for goodness' sake!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr C -- You are a wise & loving man. To catch & drink in those mile-markers; that is the sweetest portion of being a father. You just conveyed the manliest of images. You do indeed, rock! - td

Chris said...

Tim,

Seeing you kids grow is amazing. I try to emblazon important events on my brain so as not to forget them as easily as I often do.

Thanks for your input!

Twinmommy said...

Well...how did it end up? Did she enjoy camp? Did you survive being away from her? Did they play "spin the bottle" or equally disturbing games???