Friday, December 26, 2008

Penn Jillette shows that all atheists aren't pompous jerks

In the below Youtube link, Penn from Penn & Teller responds to a fan handing him a bible after a show in Vegas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHS8adO3hM

I like two things about Penn's comments. First, he doesn't use that faux intellectualism that atheists often use. They typically seem to think that using this smarter than thou mentality that it will shame the believer in to renouncing their faith.

Second, I like Penn's comments on proselytizing. He's right on the money here. If we as Christians believe that unbelievers are going to spend eternity in hell, then why wouldn't we tell everyone?

Jude 1:22-23 (English Standard Version)
22And have mercy on those who doubt; 23save others bysnatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.

Thoughts? Comments?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool guy. Clearly, a reflector to some degree, anyway (chewing on stuff, after the fact). I appreciate & agree w/ his assertion that "if we believe ... we should tell."

Also, clearly ... he hasn't chewed enough to still comfortably assert, "I know there is no God". Too many chew a bit & let it go. I pray he chews enough to find the hard center of the faith tootsie pop."- td

Chris said...

Amen. I guess only Penn knows whether he believes there is no God, but I think so many "atheists" get caught up railing against religiosity as opposed the existence of the one true God that they get the two muddled. It's almost as if they say, "Well religion stinks, so there can't be a God."

I'm not sure if you'd want to go with me one night, but I'd love to have you and the guys go with me on a "fishing trip". Believe it or not, it's great fun. You'd be great at it.

Anonymous said...

I'd really like to think I'm always fishing. I think that would be cool & you should bring it up when we next meet. - td