Monday, January 12, 2009

It's Memorization Time Kids!!

Hello there, internets. I've embarked on a pretty cool journey recently. I've taken to heart the memorization of God's word. It's simply a good thing to do.

"Wow! Really Earth shattering Chris," you might be saying, and you'd be right. I might as well also tell you to eat your vegetables and drink your milk, right? Well, make sure you do that too.

The problem that I've had in the past in trying to systematically memorize scripture is coming up with a system that keeps me on point. I've signed up for a weekly email over here. Tim Challies will send you an email every Sunday night. There is a shorter verse that you work on for a week. He also sends longer passages that take several weeks to memorize. I haven't tackled any of the longer passages yet, but baby steps, right?

The verse this week is James 1:22.

Let me know what you think. Also let me know if you have another way of memorizing scripture on a consistent basis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know... Isa's growth group is doing this; and got me wondering about this as well for us. I'll have to bring it up sometime... I definitely have 'room for improvement' in this arena...

Chris said...

Chris,

It's really tough, BUT like all things tough, it's super rewarding.

Does Isa have a verse a week from her group? How would you feel about our group having a verse?

Anonymous said...

Dude I so totally like the idea... propose it to everyone this Thursday (or some Thursday...). I'm game!