Monday, September 15, 2008

Smoky Roadhouses Where They Play Monopoly and Stuff

I've been trying to have my fam sit down to dinner as much as possible. My family did this all the time when I grew up, and great conversations usually ensued. When I was a kid, we actually had to get excused before we left the table. I've tried to start that at home, but it's not working so well.

ANYWAY...last night the topic of conversation turned to board games. My wife and I were talking about how they recently changed some of the characters from Clue. B. then pipes in with a classic riff. She said, "Dad. Did you know that there are smoky roadhouses in big cities where they play poker and Monopoly and stuff? Sometimes it gets really mean when people lose."

My wife and I lost it. How funny is that? Where in the world does B. know about smoky roadhouses from? Where did she get the idea that they play Monopoly at said roadhouses? And what in the world are these guys fighting over? Did someone not get all the money they thought they should from landing on free parking? Did someone short someone $200 when they passed go?

I guess B. only knows!

5 comments:

Twinmommy said...

Fantastic! My childhood was the same way...my parents orchastrated the whole thing. My mother prepared dinner (we washed lettuce and set the table) and then we lit candles and said grace before dinner. The act of eating together made us a tight knit family and when our friends were over they always commented on how fun it was to eat dinner together as a family. I've struggled with this for years since leaving my parents house but I think my husband and I still manage dinner at the table together at least 65% of the year. This is also a great way to instill healthy eating habits- my mother had meat, starch, veggie at every meal and I can't even fathom how much money she saved by cooking all of our dinners!

Anonymous said...

Smoky roadhouses, eh? That is pretty funny. Kids sure are interesting sometimes....

I feel similarly about dinnertime CWray... we do all eat dinner, but it's not the fun I'd like it to be... but same goes for other things like wanting to have family nights and play games/puzzles/watch movies/etc.

Some nights are good, some aren't.

Chris said...

Eating together is the highlight of my day. We are still super dysfunctional in our family meals, but I'd rather be nowhere else at around 5:45 in the evening.

twinmommy, the candles are taking it up a notch. Your house growing up must have been pretty cool.

Chris, I agree with you. Now if only I could get on a regular track of having a family devotional time. That's a really tough one, but the kids usually really love it.

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention how K likes to top everything off with a "little romance". May I more salad with a little more romance as she folds her hands under chin demurely and batts her 7 yr old eyelashes and then cracks herself up laughing.

Between K and B, its a miracle that we can get thru dinner because of the kids saying the darndest things.

Beamer319

Amy said...

That's hilarious! We try to do the dinner thing, too. It's funny how much stuff comes out of the kids' mouths when we're all just sitting around the table. Lately Jake has learned our dinner time prayer but his version sounds weirdly Swedish.